Thursday, August 16, 2007

There's more than one way to catch a crab


Now that we are experts on the blue crab our friend Chuck took us crabbin', old school. All you need is a chicken leg and a long piece of string. Tie the string to the leg, toss it into the river and wait. When you feel a tug slowly, and I mean slowly, pull it in. You can feel the crab pulling on the line, so if it lets go you wait until it grabs on again and start pulling. There is a small learning curve but it was fun. I actually caught two crabs at one time. Gracie got two also and Anna wasn't interested. It was too hot and buggy for her.

Last week my friends Diane, Emily, and Brendan came to visit and we tried a more advanced technique. I bought a crab net at Wal Mart for $3 and a package of chicken legs. This time we went to the fishing pier at the YR. All you need to do is tie the chicken to the inside of the net, lower it into the water and wait. We would play in the water for about 20 min, then run over to the pier and pull up the line. We caught about 5 or 6 total. My favorite part was letting them go and watching them scurry back into the water. We keep hearing how delicious they are but I can't bring myself to cook or eat them.


1 comment:

Aunt Joan said...

who's Chuck? he's a hottie